Should Apple Music ‘borrow’ Spotify Connect functionality for continuity?

New updates are added at the bottom of this story…….

The original story (published September 16, 2022) follows:

When talking about Apple, most people often refer to its “ecosystem”. If you use a Mac, iPhone, Apple Watch, and any other Apple product together, you know how well Apple products work with each other.

This seamless integration between Apple products has helped the Cupertino giant deter long-time Apple users from trying gadgets from other OEMs.

How could you ask? Well, try using an Apple Watch with an Android smartphone. If that’s not enough, what about standard texting between an Android phone and an iPhone?

As you can see, Apple doesn’t play well with others. But it’s certainly not perfect. And its Apple Music service sticks out like a sore thumb.

Compared to its biggest competitor, Apple Music lacks the continuity that Spotify Connect offers between devices. With Spotify Connect, you can remotely control media playback on other devices.

Spotify Login

Spotify Login

Not only that, but you can also control the output device and queue, among other things.

So, as long as you’re signed in with your Spotify account on all devices, you essentially have playback control on each individual device.

Given Apple’s seamless ecosystem, one would expect Apple Music to offer the same functionality. But this is not the case. For some reason, the company chose not to give Apple Music the continuity that Spotify users get with Connect.

Hopeful Apple Music fans have been asking for this feature for a long time (1,2,3,4,5,6,seven).

Apple Music
Source

One of the great features currently missing from Apple Music is a feature like Spotify connect which allows you to select and control music from one IOS device from another Apple device. Some of us want to enjoy lossless, high-res Apple Music on our stereo systems with a DAC and are too lazy to get up and interact with the phone plugged into the room.
Source

Spotify has this cool feature that I really miss in Apple Music where it doesn’t matter which device you start playing music on, every device is logged into the same account and the network would allow you to control the same music, a queue of hold and in mobile devices like iPad or iPhone, controls even appear on the lock screen if music is detected from another device
Source

This is not the only feature requested by users. Apple Music also lacks the longest-requested crossfade feature. For some reason, however, the Android version is unaffected.

Apple even dropped the highly anticipated iOS 16 update recently. But to the disappointment of Apple Music users, even the new update did not introduce these features.

Apple may consider including a Continuity feature to match Spotify Connect in its Music app in a future iOS update. Or maybe even include it in one of the future iOS 16 “dot” updates.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on this, so be sure to take the poll below. The article will be updated after a week with the results of the poll.

Update 1 (September 23, 2022)

1:17 p.m. (IST): The poll results are out and while 75% of our readers think Apple should add a similar feature to Spotify Connect in Apple Music, the remaining 25% think the opposite.

In case you missed our poll, you can always share your thoughts on it in our comments section below.

To note: We have more stories like this in our dedicated Apple section, so be sure to follow those as well.

Built-in image source: Spotify

PiunikaWeb began as a purely investigative tech journalism website with a primary focus on “breaking” or “exclusive” news. In no time, our stories were picked up by Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors and many more. Would you like to know more about us? Head here.

Comments are closed.